Saturday, January 12, 2008

Whistle while you work-out

Today was my first day in the faculty weight room on campus (darn those new year’s resolutions) and as I tried to find the right room, I hoped it wouldn’t be too full, the less people witnessing my humiliation the better. I was relived as I walked in and saw there were only two men in the room—relief, however, quickly turned into confusion and a bit of panic as I saw the looks on their faces. Was I in the wrong room? Was this an all male weight room? Were there naked, wrinkly men just around the corner? “Well”, I thought, “I’ll smile and say hello, that will give them the opportunity to say something, should they decide to speak their minds.” All I really got back in return were a couple of grunts and possibly even an eye-roll. I decided to just go on my merry, and somewhat befuddled way—we were in a good mood, me and my resolutions, “Who cares what these grumpy old men think?” But I was comforted a few minutes later to see a young 14-year-old girl walk in with her dad; at least I knew the room was gender neutral. Now, if I were a paranoid person, I might say that the looks and sighs continued a bit, but I was busy and had no time to waste. Throughout my time in the room a few more men of similar ilk came and left, an unfriendly bunch indeed. Finally, towards the end it was just the teenager and I, as her dad had apparently gone to round up his other children. A 20-something woman with an unofficial whistle and badge came in the room, and looked a bit surprised. As she busied herself with nothingness I realized she was getting up the nerve to say something. Eventually, without making much eye contact she said, “Is everyone in the room faculty?” Everyone? Out of the two of us? Between me and the girl, were we both faculty? I looked at the teen, then back at the whistle blower, and said, “Well, I am.” And I almost smiled as I realized, that not for the first time since I returned, even on this day when I am pretty sure I woke up with a new wrinkle, all these people thought I was a student. Well, I guess I am not complaining exactly, but this is getting a little old. Been there. Done that. Over a decade ago. Thank heavens.

I say, only in Utah…

Upcoming entry: "Cheese balls fights - the new snow ball fights?"

No comments: