Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Bible Class

Last semester I worked with an alternative (read: underprivileged) public school creating original theatre to promote social change—this semester I am working at a charter (read: privileged) public school creating original theatre to promote…um, well, I am not quiet sure yet. These students are unique—and proud of it. I can relate to their need to let it be known that they are not like the thousands of other young people scampering around this happy, snowy valley—they argue politics (quien es mas mejor, Clinton o Obama? -even Edwards got an honorable mention); they want their sets and costumes to be made entirely of recycled materials; and I thought they might kick me out of the program today when they realized that from time to time I actually put meat in my mouth, chew, swallow, and enjoy. And yet. One of the first activities I carry out in these programs is the process of creating a “contract”, a set of rules, attitudes and behaviors put forth by them, enforced by them—approved by me. As we did this today, two of their very sincere suggestions were as follows: No Satan Allowed; Love One Another.

Ah, yes, only in Utah…

Upcoming entry: "What is the difference between Ms, Miss and Mrs?"

No comments: