Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Clean undies


This morning, as I rushed to get ready for work I realized I didn't have any clean underwares--so whilst I bathed, ate, and primped I did a load of wash and was prepared for the day. Sounds simple, does it? Like basic human needs? What's the big deal? Well, I cherish having a washer and dryer in my very own living quarters more than words can express. For years and years I had to climb 5 flights of stairs, no elevator. And the lonely two washers and one antique dryer in the building were all the way in the basement. So count them, 6 flights of stairs, schlepping laundry, detergent, coins and such, only to discover a line as long as those for the primary in New Hampshire's 65 degree weather today. So what does one do? Schlep it back up? Wait around for your turn? The open hours are brief--you miss your window of time and you're soaking your dirty goodies in your tub, stirring them with a yardstick. This explains why, although for years I claimed the thing I missed most about Utah was the mountains, now when asked what I enjoy most about being here I hear myself talking about the frakking washer and dryer!! At last, like Mr. Todd, I feel complete again, for "these are my friends, see how they glisten, see this one shine...my friends, my faithful friends."

This, I feel, could only happen to me in Utah.

Upcoming entries:
"Jesus' older sister in my very own congregation!"
"A Princess Bride finally comes to Utah"

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart.

emilyaaa said...

i LURV it!!!!! clean undies for everyone!

Unknown said...

Wow, just a few hours old and three comments already. Amazing. Welcome (back) to the land of shining, glistening appliances in every over-large house.

Ashley said...

You know what I think, Mrs. Lovett? This has all happened before...and it will all happen again...

sonya d said...

As the person that shared a living space with you for several of the years that you lived in New York, I can say that this entry did not surprise me one bit. In fact, I think I remember you saying you missed the mountains once or twice, but the washer/dryer thing, countless times. Congratulations.

Utah gal said...

I must say I appreciate your support on my first entry--and your support of my obsession with the WMD's in my basement. What can I say? I only hope my obsession doesn't turn the front lock of my hair white...

sonya d said...

You will be feeling even better about this after you read my comment... this morning, I actually had to do laundry at the laundromat on 181st St. One of the washers and one of the dryers was too stuffed with quarters to take more quarters and I was therefore unable to turn them on. As I leave tomorrow morning for Seattle, I had no choice but to do laundry today, and the laundromat was the only option for me. However, on the plus side, the laundromat opens at 7 am instead of 8:30, so I may actually go there voluntarily in the future!