One of the wonderful things about living in Utah is the scenery; the mountains take my breath away daily—and my eyes off the road a bit much—they be purdy. So, I really relish the weekly hikes I take through the foothills with my 75-year-old father, I geek a bit. And I have to make a concerted effort to keep up with him, which I find wonderful. This morning was no exception. As we climbed the hill I noticed a large variety of animal prints in the dirt, and asked my dad what he thought they were, a ruse I used so we could slow down a bit. Chicken, seagull, horse, small dog, large dog, deer, and claw marks he guessed were cougar. Yes, cougar. While images of cougar attacks ran rampant in my mind I noticed something move directly across the ravine. With some relief I discovered it was a doe and perhaps her parents, then suddenly I realized there were nearly a dozen deer staring back at us. We watched them for a nice long while. These beautiful animals, peacefully grazing within minutes of my parent’s house, made for a spectacular way to start my day.
It’s enough to make you want to burst out in song. Only in Utah…
Upcoming entry: Top 10 reasons to not date my mom’s “cancer doctor”.
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Love this post - I can just see it all...
Post a Comment