Monday, March 24, 2008

Oh, the Places You’ll Go

Today I spent more time walking around campus than usual—I rarely leave my own building and lead a fairly insular existence whilst on campus, a wise choice I feel. But today I went out for an adventure, and saw all sorts of things…I was off and away. People I have never met smiled, waved and greeted me enthusiastically; I got the familiar, yet friendly, “this service is for faculty, not students” speech; and young impressionable minds littered the campus on this gorgeous, spring day. All was right with the world is our campus world. All were happy to be out, especially a group of 8 young men who were hanging out on a wall, in a very prominent place, almost on display. The type of guys I would have revered or even feared once upon a time: cocky, cool, hip, have the world on a string—the type you daydreamt about meeting, or being, or both. Of course I see them with new eyes now, reverence and fear replaced by curiosity and amusement. Which made it all the merrier when I heard these tough, cool show-offs break out into downright geeky 8-part harmony. The crowd cheered, I giggled.

Where do even the coolest of the cool end up being dorky? Only in Utah…

Upcoming entry: "An exposé into the world of an entire community with a mere 3 degrees of separation"

No comments: